Saturday, November 7, 2015


Mayhem has been hanging around my house a lot lately.  A couple of weeks ago, I had been watching TV in bed with my snoozing puppies. Just before midnight, I turned off the TV and settled my head for a long fall's nap.
All of a sudden, we hear a giant CRAAACK and thump. The dogs and I were shaking in our boots. I bravely got up and looked out the patio door where I was shocked to see that a giant limb from my old elm tree had come down on the roof.
After staring at it in awe for a while, I went back to bed - after all there was nothing else I could do. But the limb kept shifting on the roof (did I mention this happened because we were experiencing hurricane-force (over 80 mph) winds? Holly hid under the bed for about an hour, and then she was fine.
But Gracie shook and shivered all night. Every time I managed to get her calmed down, the limb would shift some more, and she would start shivering all over again. The two of us were awake all night.
I called in the next morning to tell my boss I was exhausted and traumatized, then I began the work of calling my insurance agent, contractors and my neighbor. (Some of the limb's branches fell on her roof too.)
Eventually the limb was removed and the roof was temporarily patched. (It had a six-inch hole and a 12-inch hole in it.) The roofer ultimately replaced half my roof, and a new gutter will have to be added to that side of the house.
But, life calmed down, I got my insurance money (minus the deductible, of course), and Gracie calmed down. I bid adieu to Mayhem.  However, he came back Monday evening.
Just before 10:00, I let the dogs out for the last time before bed. As usual, Holly comes tearing into the house, across the kitchen, the living room and dining room, and leaps onto a chair right by the front windows. All of a sudden I heard a crash - she had broken a window! "Oh, crap", I thought. "I'll have to call the glass guy in the morning."
But all of a sudden, I realize she's bleeding. Before I get her corralled into the bathroom, she has bled in my living room, dining room, kitchen and bedroom (under the bed). Blood is just streaming out. I call the vet - let's just call her Dr. Leslie. She was majorly uninterested. Put some pressure on it, she says.
First of all, it took me a while to find the actual wound. I though it was on one of her feet or legs, because they were covered in blood. I finally realized that she was bleeding heavily from a cut on her nose. I tried for a long time to put pressure on the wound but the bleeding wouldn't stop.
I called Lazy Dr. Leslie again. Once again, she was very uncaring. I think she was in bed and wasn't about to get out from under her cozy covers to help Holly. Put some cornstarch on it, try the pressure again, and keep me posted, she says.
I had visions of sitting in my bathroom watching my dog bleed and waiting all night for the vet's office to open, while Gracie whined from the bedroom, where she had been sequestered out of the way.
It took me an hour to finally stanch the blood, which kept pouring out at a steady rate. By then, Holly's head, which is almost all black, was pure white from nervous attempts to apply cornstarch, I had cornstarch all over my black slacks, and the bathroom floor was a mixture of blood and cornstarch.
There was more blood on the tub, floor, door and cabinets than you see in the true crime shows I love to watch.
After that, I had to clean the house, including rolling back the bloody oriental rugs to make sure the blood didn't seep into the hardwood floors. I also wanted to make sure the blood had stopped before I went to sleep.

Holly is just fine, although part of her nose may be pink for a while. The window will be fixed Monday. Mayhem, stay away from our house for a while. (PS - insurance doesn't cover Dog Mayhem.)


WOL said...

Bless your heart. Your elm trees are probably Siberian elms and they are noted for brittle branches. I had one over the duplex and it routinely shed branches, although none of major size, and it gets pretty windy here, too on the south end of the flatlands. As for that lazy vet of yours, you should have taken a picture of all the blood and mailed it to her and said, "This wasn't something to get excited over?" Since I have cats, finding a good cat vet (they all seem to have gone over to the dog side!) was a bit problematic, but now I've found one who knows I'm not the kind to have a tizzy over nothing and who takes my concerns seriously. Hope you can get one as good.

Leanne said...

oh my goodness!! best thing i can do is send a ((hug)) Leanne xx

Naturegirl said...

Boy oh boy what a chain of events! We had a toronado last yr. and mighty Oak trees fell down around our woodland home! Only my car was totalled. It sure was a scary 48 hrs. Cleaning up and at the mercy of insurance company. I can only imagine how frightening it was for you and the fur babies! Your poor dog with the injury to nose!! Ok I feel for you having to do the clean up. LOL.
Julie thank you so much for your kind words regarding the passing of my cats. Babie was diagnosed with 3 illnesses one being cancer and 8 weeks later, she passed away! It certainly is a shock to me how quickly she went! I still think she missed her sister Paisley. I miss them both terribly. A real shock to lose both in the same yr. I truly appreciated your sympathy and visit to my blog. Love and light. Anna

Unknown said...

Big hug and love to you this Thanksgiving , its so lovely to hear from you again, I hope life is been kinder to you lately . take care x