Wednesday, August 5, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAN

OUR HIPPIE DAYS
Today is my husband Dan's 61st birthday. Happy Birthday, Dan! I thought I'd show Dan's evolution in facial and head hair over the years. The photo above was taken when he was a physician's assistant in Langdon, ND. He had no mustache when I met him and his hair was fairly long, at least for the job he had. (I'm wearing a haircut I should never have gotten, with that cowlick of mine!) Oh, those 70s.
DADDY EXTRAORDINAIRE
He's sporting nice short hair and trim mustache for his new job as a pharmaceutical sales rep. He was so good with Baby Kristen. When he wasn't on the road he would be the one to get up with her at night. He'd feed her and rock her while watching old war movies and - as he joked - "discussing tin futures in Bolivia". He never shirked at changing diapers, either.

ON THE OCCASION OF DAN'S PARENTS'
50th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
Now he's back to no mustache, and going a bit grey at the temples - very distinguished. He is what we call a "black Norwegian" in these parts. Although he is mostly Danish and Norwegian, he tans deeply in the summer. After the group portrait of all the Fredericksens, spouses and offspring was taken, each of the four sons got a nice family portrait out of the deal. I think we clean up pretty good!

ON A HUNTING TRIP
Thank goodness this beard phase was a short one. As I recall, he had the beard for one hunting season, September through December. Note the sweater - I knew I was always safe gifting him with a shirt or sweater with some sort of hunting theme on it. Dan is an avid hunter - of grouse, pheasants, deer, antelope and elk. He also loves to fish for big ol' walleyes.
When we were dating he took me duck and goose hunting. (For goose hunting, I had to crawl across a stubble field.) After that, I declined to go hunting, except for pheasant hunts during beautiful October days.

NO MUSTACHE, A BIT MORE GRAY
I could never go wrong with a plaid Pendleton shirt as a gift, either. Or a book - he is an inveterate reader. I'm sure that I got him both gifts the Christmas this photo was taken (1987?). Dan is a man of few wants, always pleased with the gifts he gets. He's even tempered, almost always in a good mood, very generous and giving, not spoiled or fussy. But please don't try to serve him a casserole - he had enough of those in the Navy.

NO MUSTACHE, MOSTLY GRAY HAIR,
OOH LA LA, HOW DEBONAIR!

To the young Kristen, Dan was very often "Silly Daddy!" For many years, Dan babysat her on Saturdays so I could go out and do "my thing". When she was a teen, he taught her to drive, as I was too nervous to try. He found her good safe cars for her first car, at 15, and again in her 20s when she needed transportation out East.

STILL DADDY EXTRAORDINAIRE

This photo was taken in Washington, DC, when we drove Kristen out to attend college at Georgetown University. I bawled when we left, but he can't claim his eyes weren't wet as well. And he isn't ashamed to cry during movies either. He really is sentimental - I love that in him.
DOG LOVER FROM THE GET GO
Gracie doesn't mind if his hair's gone all white (above)! Neither did Penny (below).


DOWN PENNY, I'M WATCHING THE SIOUX!
Now this was about the best Christmas gift I ever got Dan - a UND Sioux hockey jersey. Dan has been an ardent fan since our college days.

A MOST EXCELLENT COOK.
(IGNORE THE MISMATCHED POTHOLDERS,
LIKE ALL GUYS, HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THAT!)
This is a picture of Dan with his flaming peppercorn steaks. The photo was actually taken in the dark, with the steaks aflame, but the flash ruined the effect.
Dan is a wonderful cook. We have our special "gourmet" dinners on weekends, but he also cooks almost every weeknight, even if it's just soup and sandwiches. He's also not afraid of washing dishes or clothes, sweeping or vacuuming floors. (He has never once cleaned the toilet, but I'll give him a pass on that.)

NO MUSTACHE - AND NO SHIRT!

Hey, it's usually very hot here on August 5 (not today though). Here he is one scorching birthday evening with the traditional family cake - angel food with butter cream frosting.

He wouldn't appreciate that I posted a photo of him with no shirt, but then again he'll never see it as he doesn't read my blog, much less ever go on the computer. (Don't tell, Kristen!)

Dan has to work until 9 p.m. tonight so there'll be no special dinner, or even a cake. But I'll raise a glass of wine to his rum and Coke after he gets home, and wish a "Very Happy Birthday" to this funny, loving, gentle, kind, good man.

Dark hair or grey, long hair or short, mustache or no mustache, I love you!

18 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

One very handsome man - through all the ages and stages. Happy Birthday to you, Dan.

blackbird said...

Happy Birthday Dan! I hope that you have many more to enjoy with your family.

Thanks for sharing the photos- I remember the 70's too. How the years have gone by...

Odette Bautista Mikolai said...

Oh, you look so good together! Happy Birthday to Dan, he aged well and he still look dashing at his age. I also like that he is sentimental. guys who can cry have a kindred heart.
lucky you!!!
xoxoxoxo

Shopgirl said...

this is the best post, you have shared your heart, your love for a life mate, you are so sweet togeher. Happy everyday Dan and all the best Julie, looking forward to seeing more of your story in the future. Love never ends, Mary

Annie Jeffries said...

Julie, this has to be just the best tribute for a birthday ever. I think YOU are the greatest gift Dan ever got and I'm sure he would agree.

Hugs,
Annie

Janet said...

What a fantastic tribute to your guy! I love all the photos. You have one handsome guy there, Julie. I hope he has a wonderful birthday even if he does have to work!

Rowan said...

LOve;y photos of Dan, he sounds like a wonderful man - lucky you:) Happy Birthday Dan!

AutumnZ said...

Happy birthday to your great guy! That was a beautiful tribute :-)

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What a lovely tribute to a fine man. Hope all his birthdays now and forever are wonderful. You are so lucky - and I can tell you know it - to have found such a dear person to spend your life with. The family photos are wonderful!!!!

Patty said...

Oh I love the photos. It is so much fun to look back at how we have changed. I did a slide show on onetruemedia.com a few years ago of myself from bith till present day and used the song Don't Blink (kenny chesney) to go along with it. It was so much fun!
You should do something like that for your hubby as a surprise.
I hope he has a great birthday!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

you look beautiful!
sorry Dan, she stole my attention,
happy Birthday to your husband!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your hubby. Happy birthday Dan! I enjoyed reading your blog and especially seeing the pictures of the two of you. I hope you have a wonderful evening.

Shopgirl said...

After being so hot, it is down right cool today. I think our high was in the middle of the night. Today it got to 67...It is raining, so we are kinda house bound. It will be hot again in a few days. I know your knee pain is hard to deal with. Sometimes we just have to pamper things. I have a bad back, one day in the garden means three days of stiff pain. I have had this problem forever.
Arney will be going back to work in a few days. I know he is going to hurt. Take care of You, Mary

Casey said...

Your Dan sounds like a great guy!

gma said...

Hope Dan had a Happy Birthday! Still good looking after all these years. Dan and Lee are really alot alike. They have a hunting, fishing, laundry, cooking connection.

Anonymous said...

What a lovelt tribute, Happy Birthday Dan.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks for the amazing compliment on my collage! Blessings to you all.

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

Older and wiser and still so handsome - a lovely man - you both deserve every happiness:)
Hope he had a lovely birthday.
Your own hair tells an interesting fashion story as well - I laughed at the perm... can't believe we did that to ourselves!