Sunday, December 21, 2008

HAPPY SOLSTICE/YULE

"Solstice" by Jane Starr Weils
**********
The winter solstice officially occurred at 12:04 A.M. Universal Time, and here in the central United States, at 6:04 A.M. today. From this, the shortest day of the year, the days will now lengthen. Pagans, druids and others in the pre-Christian world celebrated this day as Yule. It was a celebration of the return of light, and I can imagine just how much more it meant in those dark days than it does in these days of electricity.
Still, even us modern folk yearn for the longer days of spring. And today, the process begins, as the sun tilts on its axis toward the sun.
I celebrate this day with a bunch of images I've pulled from the 'net. I had a feeling that fantasy artists would be drawn to the subject of yule/solstice. And I was right. Here, for your solstice pleasure, are yule and holly kings and queens, fairies and druids, green men and goddesses.


"Yule Holly King" by Wendy Andrew

"Yule Angel" card by Anne Stokes

"Yule Druid" - no attribution given


"Yule Fairy" - no attribution given



"Yule Fairy" - no attribution given


"Yule Queen" by Mary Layton
(Also check out her "Yule Blessings" in my
"I am the Christmas Spirit" post from Dec. 5)


"Winter Solstice" card by Briar



"Yule Queen" by Wendy Andrew



"Spirit of Yule" by Anne Stokes


"Peace at Yule" by Wendy Andrew


"Christmas Light" by Meredith Dillman




"Lady of Lights" card by Briar




"Holly King" - No attribution given




"Bright Blesssings" Yule card by Briar
**********
For a couple more images, here's a link to the Winter Solstice post I wrote last year:
And for some lovely solstice poetry, please check out Leanne's post for today:
NOTE ADDED MONDAY MORNING:
Someone asked for a link to the Briar cards, and I am so glad I went to check it out, because I found the artist of two paintings I had no attribution for (Anne Stokes). Following are links to all the artists I mentioned: Briar: www.eastgateresource.co.uk; Wendy Andrew: www.paintingdreams.co.uk; Anne Stokes: www.annestokes.com; Meredith Dillman: www.meredithdillman.com; Jane Starr Weils: www.janestarrweils.com; Mary Layton: www.marylayton.net.

10 comments:

Sandy said...

I just love all the beautiful graphics you find!

Hope said...

You always have amazing pictures to celebrate the year's various events. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. Enjoy the winter solstice period!

Sandy said...

Hi, Julie. Let's hope I don't mess this one up... God Yule! I sure hope that's right!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Just lovely - I'm enjoying solstice blogs this season.

Anonymous said...

You found some wonderful artwork. Thanks for sharing!

Leanne said...

Hi Julie, a blessed solstice to you!
The artwork is wonderful, Spirit of Yule is my favourite.

thank you for the link to my blog,

Leanne x

Anonymous said...

what a lovely compilation of images - am intrigued that I liked the Briar ones (without knowing ahead) the best...link? Happy Solstice!

gma said...

Bring forth the light!
Sending yuletidings to you always
xx

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

These images are amazingly beautiful! You always have such lovely things to share with us - thank you! I will go to some of the links provided. Have a great, if not longer, day!
Colleen

Carole Burant said...

Oh how I love all these graphics, such wonderful representations of this Yule season!!

May Peace be your gift at Christmas and your blessing all year through! Merry Christmas to you and yours, dear Julie. xoxo