Sunday, December 18, 2011

A CARL LARSSON CHRISTMAS




CHRISTMAS TREE 1917

In my previous post I  featured several Carl Larsson products - a collectible cookie tin and a cake tray. A lot of Larsson's paintings are used for Christmas merchandise. I think he must have really loved Christmas, considering he produced so many Christmas paintings. He must also have loved his children a lot, since he often used them as models for the pretty, robust children in the paintings.
His interior paintings reveal a colorful, warm, bright and cozy world in defiance of the bitter cold world outside. And people even seem to be happy in the outdoor paintings.

Although Larsson was Swedish and not Norwegian, I think that he really represents the Scandinavian spirit and so I have embraced his images wholeheartedly. I especially love the painting of his daughter Brita in her red dress and cap, holding apples and candles. I have a wall hanging of it which goes in my kitchen at Christmas time.

In celebration of the season, I put together this group of a dozen of Larsson's Christmas and winter paintings.



CHRISTMAS EVENING




BRITA WITH APPLES




CHRISTMAS MORNING 1894



THE WASH HOUSE (BRITA WITH SLED)




KERSTI'S SLEIGH RIDE




NOW IT'S CHRISTMAS 




"GIRL IN A RED COAT"


 

"LISBETH"
 
 



LITTLE GIRL SKIING




ST. LUCIA DAY




MURRE ON A ROCKING HORSE

6 comments:

Robin Larkspur said...

Carl Larsson is such a favorite of mine. Thanks for showing these beautiful paintings!

Annie said...

How happy these all are. I especially liked Britta with the sled.

Jo (Pieceful Afternoon) said...

I'd never noticed these before - they are very lovely - thanks for sharing/

wickedfaerie said...

How lovely, one of my favourite artists. I am Norwegian and have used the St. Lucia picture on my blog several times.

Have a Happy Christmas,
Sue

Erika Smith said...

Love those pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them!

Betty MacDonald Fan Club said...

Many Betty MacDonald fan club members are also fond of Carl Larsson.

Both - Carl Larsson and Betty MacDonald enjoyed Christmas very much.

Thank you so much!